Thursday 20 March 2014

Dichtha inflata, Gerstaecker, 1854 (Probably) and Namibian Independence.

So tomorrow (well, today, if you're further East than Jakarta), is the day that Namibia celebrates its independence from South Africa, fully realised in 1990.

Which I thought I would commemorate by putting up a vaguely Namibian photo, which becomes a touch more complex when I note that I have never actually been to Namibia.

This shouldn't really be a problem - the Caprivi strip takes up a significant chunk of Zambia's southern border, and a fair number of species occur widely in both countries. The issue arose because I wanted something that more specifically said 'Namibia!' - an Icon, if you like. The obvious choices are therefore on Namibia's coat of arms: Oryx (or Gemsbok) and African fish eagle. The former I've only managed to photograph in captivity, and the latter, if I had a good enough picture, would be reserved for Zambian independence.

Another problem was that these are both vertebrates, as have been my last three posts, and I can get a little sick of backbones from time to time.

But then it struck me:

Photographed in New Kasama, Lusaka, Zambia in March 2013, using Olympus E-420 with Zuiko 40-150mm lens and 2 KOOD magnifiers.

This is a member of a group of animals that I really think of when I think of Namibia. In Afrikaans, it's a Toktokkie, one of a number of darkling beetles who tap their abdomens against the ground to attract mates.
Although representatives are found across much of Africa, the association of a number of endemic and near-endemic species with the Namib desert has made them an icon, for me at least, of the region.

Without further ado, then, this is (almost certainly):

Dichtha inflata
Gerstaecker, 1854

However, it's worthy of note that this follows a rather convoluted method of identification, and so I can't actually cite a source... sorry... 

Anyway, provided that I've not starting barking up altogether the wrong tree, D. inflata belongs to: 

 - Molurina  
- Sepidiini     
- Pimelinae     
- Tenebrionidae
- Tenebrionoidea
- Cucujiformia      
- Coleoptera            
- Coleopterida           
- Endopterygota          
- Neoptera                       
- Pterygota                           
- Dicondylia                            
- Insecta                                   
- Hexapoda                                
- Arthropoda                                
- Ecdysozoa                                    
- Protostomia                                    
See also Burtoa nilotica.
- Nephrozoa                                         
- Eumetazoa                                             
- Animalia                                                   
- Eukaryota                                                    

And, with a Happy Birthday to an Independent Namibia, That's All, Folks! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment